Samsung memory upgrade problem

PaulMac 11:20 18 Jun 03

Hi,

I have a Systemax PC Gamer bought in July 2001 from Simply Computers.
It has the following specs which may be relevant to the problem.

Gigabyte GA-7DX 266FSB 5P AGP AMR 2DDR ATX
AMD Athlon 1.33GHz Socket A 266FSB
AMD Athlon 1.3GHz Heatsink & Fan SocketA
SAMSUNG 256MB DDR PC2100
3D Power Morpheus GeForce3 AGP 64MB DDR TV Out

I upgraded the memory by purchasing from Simply Computers after requesting first which RAM to go for and went for an extra SAMSUNG 256MB DDR PC2100.

With both sets of RAM in the PC, I have major problems, for example, with Medal of Honour game, it crashes out with an error MOH caused an error in NVOPENGL.DLL. With either of the 256 MB RAM in the PC by itself, there is no problem. Only when I have 512 MB RAM in the PC.
There are other instances of crashes as well when I check the System Configuration in windows. It occasionally crashes.

Simply Tech support have stated there have been issues with large quantities of Samsung memory.

The motherboard manual states it can cope with it and handle up to 4GB RAM.

Has anyone experienced similar problems to this? Any suggestions on how to solve the problem, otherwise, I will be requesting a refund for the RAM?

Thanks,
Paul

Lú-tzé 12:25 18 Jun 03

What is your BIOS revision number? On the same mobo I had to upgrade from version F4 to version F7 in order to increase the ram above 512mb despite the mobo manual saying that it wll accept 4gb.

BIOS flashing is not to be taken lightly however; check for other solutions first of all.

PaulMac 12:56 18 Jun 03

Will check the BIOS revision number when I get home.
I did have a look at the relevant site for upgrading the motherboard:
click here

Will also contact Gigabyte Tech support to see what they recommend.

Gaz 25 13:16 18 Jun 03

I have a medion PC that would not even show the extra 256 ram.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017