Samsung DVD rom sd-616t drive

cyberdragon 01:42 31 Aug 03

Advent 3410 (AMD Athlon XP2200+,512 ram,Win XP home)

Hi, i have done a search on the net and a few people seem to have the same problem as me but i can not find a solution.

I have a samsung DVD rom sd-616t version F310.
I have noticed that it doesnt recognise DVDs when i put them in. It keeps saying please insert disc(when disc is in).I have tried various DVDs with same result.It plays CDs ok though

Now i have had the computer for a year but i cant remeber if i had played DVDs on it in the past!

Does anyone know what could be causing this and what could i do about it?
Any help would be very much appreciated.
Thanx

hugh-265156 03:47 31 Aug 03

the dvd disc could be damaged but as you have tried a few then i doubt it.are the drivers installed ok?check control panel/system/hardware/device manager and check.sometimes reinstalling the drive fixes problems.right click the drive in device manager and uninstall it.restart the computer and windows will reinstall it again.

i checked advents site for help and could not find much apart from the computer and drive specs,downloads only foe sp1,backup and ati drivers click here

i checked the specs of advents site against click here and it seems to be the same drive.in which case try click here but only fixes "Improvement of Disc cognitive faculty of the DVD title " The lord of ring" whatever that is :-)

cyberdragon 14:05 31 Aug 03

thanx for the response, i have reinstalled the drivers a couple of times but to no avail.

It seems like im gonna have to take it to the shop or replace it!

It is really annoying as it seems to work ok with cds. Is it true that there is a seperate laser for DVDs?Could that be the problem?
If that was not working will the drive stop recognising that there are dvds in it?

If anyone knows....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…