Samsung DVD Driver

Seadog 13:52 15 Apr 05

I have a Samsung TS-H552B DVD writer in my home built computer. The driver allocated by win Xp is by Microsoft, I want to update this and use the latest Samsung driver but the driver update program in Xp does not recognise the downloaded file as it is a .BIN file and not a .inf file. Anyone any idea how I can do this? All driver downloads I have found are .BIN files.

Chegs ® 14:53 15 Apr 05

Thats not a "driver" file,its the writers "Firmware" These are usually the .BIN extension.To use this file,would require a flashing utility for the Samsung.Be aware that if thats the wrong firmware for your drive,use of it will completely kill the drive.

georgemac © 14:54 15 Apr 05

a dvd writer does not need a driver - the files you have found are to flash the firmware on the writer - you need to be very careful you have the right flash file and utility or you could junk the writer

click here looks to be the correct firmware - follow the instructions to the letter and do not interupt the process

georgemac © 14:57 15 Apr 05

click here I would install this samsung utility and let it do the upgrade for me

Stuartli 15:31 15 Apr 05

Not quite true. Any CD/DVD-ROM drive or rewriter uses the basic Windows CDROM driver, which is installed automatically when the drive is first installed.

As pointed out, firmware is a different proposition and, if upgrading is not done correctly, can result in a drive only fit for the refuse collectors...:-)

Seadog 17:32 15 Apr 05

Thanks for the advice guys, I have updated the firmware and it has cured the problem I was having with the drive. Trouble was I was told to update the drivers by a friend with the same drive (and problem) but he had it done at the local computer shop!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…