samsung CRT monitor turned pinkish

rum98 13:52 07 Nov 06

my desktop computer monitor, a samsung 15" syncmaster 551V CRT monitor just turned pinkish in color. Does anyone know what the problem might be?

LimestoneRock 14:00 07 Nov 06

The only time this happened on my CRT monitor I unplugged and then replugged the monitor lead connected to the PC.

keef66 15:44 07 Nov 06

Yes, try jiggling the monitor cable connections at both ends. Happened a couple of times to my DiamondPro CRT monitor.

UncleP 18:22 07 Nov 06

If it's not just a poor connexion, which is a common cause of display faults, then it either the graphics card, a duff connexion in the cable or a fault in the monitor.

The simplest way to check is to borrow a working monitor and cable from a friend, and then interchange the components until the location of the fault is identified (ie switch the monitor, if the fault persists it's not the monitor, and so on).

You don't say how old the monitor is, but CRTs do drift slowly with time, although the usual effect is a gradual loss in emission (brightness). There are a number of pots inside which can be tweaked to compensate for the drift (but don't try opening it up, it's a job for a qualified engineer).

wee eddie 18:45 07 Nov 06

One of the guns is going. Well to be more correct, the magnets that direct one of the ion guns are failing.

It's dead. More or less anyway.

jack 19:28 07 Nov 06

Yes I agree the pink mist of impending death seems to be the most likely prognosis.
The up side is Christmas is comimng, Flatties are coming down in price all the time some one must love you.

Still want a CRT?
Then look no further click here

UncleP 03:30 09 Nov 06

First things first - no point in buying a new monitor until (a) you've shown that it is the monitor that's faulty and (b) that it can't be repaired cheaply and easily (and that it's of reasonable age and condition).

Some years ago I had a relatively new CRT - still under guarantee - with a similar fault, which was repaired for a charge of 10p for a new resistor. Labour costs were covered by the guarantee, but unfortunately P&P was not, and that came to around £35!

One point that needs explanation is that the original post says that the monitor 'had just turned pinkish in color', implying that this had happened in a relatively short time ie not consistent with a gradual ageing process.

jack 08:34 09 Nov 06

Uncle P wrote
" First things first - no point in buying a new monitor until (a) you've shown that it is the monitor that's faulty and (b) that it can't be repaired cheaply and easily (and that it's of reasonable age and condition)."

Quite right.
But such are the repair house charges these days that with the hour rate[min charge] these days that money could well be more than half way to the replacement.
Yes only rum98 knows the age/worth/likely cost of inspection/ repair, assuming there is such a facility near by.

rum98 07:06 22 Nov 06

Guys,

Thank you for all your assistance. Got my monitor repaired. The monitor's C-board/circuit was replaced.

Now my monitor is as good as new.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced