Samsung 160Gb HDD SATA as slave drive

Jac487 16:24 02 Sep 08

Installed Samsung Spinpoint S166 HDD as slave has SATA data cable placed in SATA 4 on MB, fitted power cable.
On boot up Master not present try to boot from Samsung.
Master has a SATA data cable in SATA 0 socket.
Can not figure out to see samsung as slave.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:29 02 Sep 08

No such thing as master and slave with SATA.

If BIOS set to boot from SATA (SCCSI) as first boot device then will look for op system on the drive that is plugged into the SATA 1 port.

If BIOS set to boot from IDE as first boot device will look for the drive set as primary master.

ambra4 16:30 02 Sep 08

You need to access the bios and set the boot up order sata 0 as the first boot drive and the samsung as the second drive

Jac487 00:29 03 Sep 08

The main SATA HDD with OS in Sata 0, DVD-RW in Sata 1, this leaves 2 socket label Sata 4 & sata 5
Everytime I place new second Samsung SATA HDD in either sata 4 or sata 5 the Desk PC wants to boot from Samsung only. Their are no IDE sockets and the boot sequence is set to SATA.

Thoeretically it should boot from Sata 0, but every time I connect Samung I loose first HDD with OS.
Is possible fault on Samsung HDD?

ambra4 00:58 03 Sep 08

Connect dvd drive to sata 4 and the samsung h/drive to sata 1

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:59 03 Sep 08

Check the BIOS settings to see which port the BIOS is treating as first boot device, change to SATA 0.

Jac487 17:52 03 Sep 08

Do you ned to format samsung HDD before placing on Sata 4.
If so how, as there no XP OS disc and the main HDD OS on Sata 0 disappears, when Samsung connected to Sata 1, 4 or 5.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5