Same programme on both partitions?

Carafaraday 16:22 08 Oct 04

Can I run same programme on both partitions?
I have Canon Zoom Browser Ex installed on my c: drive where it takes up a lot of space. I have the cd for it, so would it be possible to install it on my d: drive as well? Seems a daft thing to want to do, but once I knew if was working ok I could delete it from the c: drive. I'm sure there are better apps out there, but this one suits me fine. I suspect that there is no way I can have it running twice but I thought it might be worth a try?

I don't really understand how it works but when I go to add/remove programs it claims that Zoom Browswer uses 4,095mb, yet if I go through c:\programs\Canon\ZoomBrowser it's only 18.6mb

xania 16:30 08 Oct 04

When programs install, much of the software goes where you ask it to go, and that can be on any drive (virtual or actual) you select. However, important additional information will go into the registry. Adding a second copy can confuse this process and is not necessary. I suggest you simply delete it from the C:\ drive (using its own removal utiltity in preference to the Windows one) and then reinstall it where required.

Carafaraday 16:38 08 Oct 04

Thanks for your reply. I know that's the sensible option, but I'm always nervous of screwing up and thought I'd try to play safe! I'll uninstall and reinstall when I feel strong.

Diemmess 16:49 08 Oct 04

What xania says is valid for most of your other applications.

If you watch, during the installation process you are usually offered a folder to install the application. This is often highlighted or perhaps has a Browse button. If so then choose D: and preferably D:\Program Files
It is most important as xania also says, to uninstall the old program first, and there's the snag. Most uninstalls do not really clear out all the old traces, they merely change the paths (signposts) so there is a risk of leaving unwanted files about the place, (harmless but space wasting).

As for removing these left-overs, you would be entering tiger country ---- and unless sure of what you are doing ----- too much of the wrong stuff and the O/S collapses.

No harm in sticking by the Windows uninstall rules, and bound to have some real benefits. Also wise when installing any new application to see if you can keep it away from Drive C: at the beginning.

Carafaraday 16:55 08 Oct 04

Thanks for your reply. After the initial couple of days of blindly stuffing all my 'essentials' to c:, I realised the error of my ways and have put more recent things to d:. The pc is still very new to me (just a couple of months), as is XP, so I'm struggling a bit, but very grateful for everyone's help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…