SAME ERROR in Word and Outlook - please help

plenusvita 17:51 24 Oct 06

Hi guys,

New member here, so please be gentle.

A friend of mine has a problem with Word 2003 and Office 2003 and I cannot help. Basically when he opens up word it opens up an old document instead of the normal new page look, this happens everytime - we cannot even find this document on the c drive.

Also when he opens up outlook to the same document opens itself up ( almost like a signatory template - but none has been set ) - so when he sends emails it sends that document along too.

Any ideas if this could be a virus at all? He has only just started using the computer and does not know anything about them. He says he has not opened up any emails or attachments recently. All help greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

Kev.

Kingfisher 17:55 24 Oct 06

Could try a repair, will need the original disks click on setup, windows will find the original installation and will prompt you for either remove or repair, good luck

VoG II 17:55 24 Oct 06

click here for Word. He has probably set Word as the editor in Outlook so fixing the Word problem should fix Outlook as well.

plenusvita 17:58 24 Oct 06

thanks guys ( quick replies ) I will mention that to him and see what happens.

BRYNIT 19:05 24 Oct 06

If when you open word an old document opens it could meen that the document has been saved as normal.dot in the template folder.

In Win XP click on my computer
Remember to click on tools\folder options\view\show hidden files and folders.

Go to C:\documents and settings\users name\application data\microsoft\templates If you do not require the document just delete the normal.dot file when you open word again it should open a blank doc.

VoG II 19:06 24 Oct 06

I thought that's what my link says - only in more detail.

plenusvita 11:27 25 Oct 06

Thanks BRYNIT, VoG and Kingfisher. I will tell him to try this again - cannot get hold of him at moment, but that makes complete sense to me. Great info and fast replies, so much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced