Same conditions multiple cells

peug417 15:37 07 Sep 03

Further to my qeurey last night which is now resolved, I am looking to have a number of cells (120) to be exact to have the same conditional formatting. If I copy and paste the cells are only responsive to the source cell. Is there a way of copying the format to other cells which would automatically update, ie d4 would turn blue if d4 contained "VOR" and not if A4 contain VOR.

Also on a similair note some of my cells contain formulae to obtain info from other sheets. eg
if e5 of sheet1 contains "john" cell c5 of sheet 6 would contain "john". However if cell c5 is blank I have a drop down list on in c5 of sheet 6 to choose 3 options, one of them being VOR. IF I choose VOR from the list along with its conditional formatting it overwrites the primary formulae, So if the vehicle was driven later with "john" being inserted in e5 of sheet1 C5 of sheet 6 would not update? Any ideas on this one.

Regards.

Megatyte 16:05 07 Sep 03

take the $ sign out of the source cell(A4 instead of A$4$).

AH

Megatyte 16:09 07 Sep 03

Forgot to say .. and then copy it down.

Just looking at your second problem.

AH

VoG II 17:09 07 Sep 03

Megatyte is correct.

I find that Excel sometimes substitutes absolute cell references even when you don't want them. What I do is to set the Conditional Format in one cell, then double check that it is using relative addressing and change if necessary. Then click on the Format Painter button (paintbrush) and select all of the other cells that you want to apply the format to.

Re your second question, if I understand correctly, you are overwriting a formula and I can't see a way around this other than perhaps using an intermediate (perhaps hidden) sheet that always contains the original formula. But I may be missing something.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…