//some 3rd party need geo

Same broadband connection on 2 computers

coolteentom 21:54 16 Aug 04

Hi,

in a few days I am upgrading from 56k dialup to 150k broadband (which will be doubled free to 300k in October) with NTLWORLD.

However, I have 2 computers which I want to have the broadband connection. One in the office, and one in the room directly above it, and NTL say that they can't install two connection points, and that the only way would be to network the computers.

Is this easy to do, and will it slow the connection on either of the computers??

One computer is a slow PC - P2 400 MHz, and the other is a laptop - celeron 2.2 GHz.

Thanks
tom

Fateful Shadow 22:24 16 Aug 04

You would need a router...wireless or wired.

click here as a starting point, and click here for a bit more reading

Hope this helps :)

sharpe 22:33 16 Aug 04

Hi cooleentom!!

I have got exactly the setup you intend to "set-up"

I have one broadband connection and an actiontec kit which I obtained from Dabs (about £100 but I am sure they are much cheaper now)

The manual is easy to follow and the setup disc talks you through what to do.

I have had mine running for over 18 months now and it has given no trouble at all.

Incidentally I am pretty niaeve (dam!! how do you spell NIEAVE) and I think if I can do it anyone can
Phil

howard60 22:52 16 Aug 04

I was on ntl until I moved. I had a simple crossover cable between the 2 pcs each fitted with a network card. Worked a treat. If the room is directly above just buy the cable from Maplins or similar and poke the cable through the ceiling/floor.

SEASHANTY 00:20 17 Aug 04

If you just use a crossover cable then you will have to have the main PC switched on also whenever you need internet access on the other one. Use a router - you will then have independent connection to the internet using either PC. Also see robin walkers website sharing PC's on a cable modem -
click here

SEASHANTY 00:28 17 Aug 04

Suggest a simple 4 port wired router such as the Linksys Befsr41 click here
I have used this router to independently link two of my PC's to NTL 600k cable BB over the past 18 months with no problems.

end 01:09 17 Aug 04

I am about to tackle this here ; my router arrives I hope on Wednesday, but wired or otherwise, not a clue at present; could "share" experiences..and hassles!!:)

SEASHANTY 09:40 17 Aug 04

Linksys have one of the most informative web sites but here is another one covering internet connection sharing click here

SEASHANTY 10:13 17 Aug 04

Some router problems noted on the cable modem forum
but much has to do with not following the instructions or not cloning into the router the
MAC (physical) address of the PC originally connected and registered with the ISP
click here

Benzo 14:27 17 Aug 04

i have got 600k ntl broad band (soon to be upgraded to 750k for free) and i have 2 pcs and a laptop soon to be 3 pc's.
I didnt like the idea of buying a hub and having one PC on all the time for if someone else wanted to use the internet so i bought a netgear 10/100mpbs 4 port router it cost me £30 and is good, i havent had any problems with it and setting it up is easy because it comes with a CD-ROM to tell you how to set it up and how to set the protocalls and ip addresses.
I think that something like this would be the ideal solution for your problem.

Benzo Ferrari!

Benzo 14:27 17 Aug 04

i have got 600k ntl broad band (soon to be upgraded to 750k for free) and i have 2 pcs and a laptop soon to be 3 pc's.
I didnt like the idea of buying a hub and having one PC on all the time for if someone else wanted to use the internet so i bought a netgear 10/100mpbs 4 port router it cost me £30 and is good, i havent had any problems with it and setting it up is easy because it comes with a CD-ROM to tell you how to set it up and how to set the protocalls and ip addresses.
I think that something like this would be the ideal solution for your problem.

Benzo Ferrari!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…