Salvage data?

griffo 12:48 03 Jan 05

I posted yesterday about a blue screen error - 'unmountable boot volume' and despite the kind help of a couple of members, I haven't found a solution. As I have practicaly all the data off this HDD backed up, it's not too crucial but there's just a couple of files I overlooked. I would really like to get these off before a reformat. Does anyone know what I might try please?

TomJerry 12:52 03 Jan 05

you may try to boot up from original installation CD (NOT recovery CD) and get into recovery console and try to run "fixoot".

griffo 13:03 03 Jan 05

thanks - but have tried all this and it won't work. See yesterday's post 'Unmountable Boot Volume'.

TomJerry 13:16 03 Jan 05

produce a "Live WinXP CD" using BartPE click here

run system from this CD and try to locate files you want to recovery

griffo 13:46 03 Jan 05

have another PC with a CDRW but it's on W98SE so can't run the Pebuilder.exe. Have a laptop with XP Pro but no CDRW! If I run the Pebuilder.exe on the XP machine, will I be able to write to the CDRW on the other machine, they are networked. If not, I'll have to wait until tomorrow to access a PC with CDRW and XP Pro.

TomJerry 13:55 03 Jan 05

generate iso image in XP machine and burn it on 98

griffo 13:57 03 Jan 05

sorry, what is iso image please?

TomJerry 14:28 03 Jan 05

kind of simulated CD on HDD, PEbuild will generate it and you can use any good burning software such as Nero or Roxio to brn it to CD

griffo 14:34 03 Jan 05

have copied the Pebuilder file from 98 PC to XP PC and opened it. In the main window it is asking for the source path to windows installation files. I don't know what to type in here, can you please advise?

TomJerry 14:58 03 Jan 05

you then copy i386 directory to a PEbuilder subdirctry

griffo 15:34 03 Jan 05

can't I just copy the i386 folder from the C drive on my XP machine, into a pebuilder subdirectory (on the same machine)? Also, once I've done this will pebuilder the populate the source box or do I still need to know what to type in there?
Sorry to ask so many questions but I really don't know what I'm doing!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…