Sales Commission

Legslip 16:05 20 Jul 12

I have recommended a number of friends to buy PC's from a highly rated build/supply company. Having done so, I feel that the company should consider a bit of commision on past & future sales that I might recommend to them. Would this be considered fair and what sort of commision % is also a fair return?

KRONOS the First 16:33 20 Jul 12

And the chances of getting such a commission, would be what?

Nontek 16:37 20 Jul 12

If everybody expected to receive commission on everything they had recommended to others, I would expect the price of goods to go up - I have recommended loads, especially in the computer industry, but I would never want, nor expect to receive anything for my recommendations.

Legslip 16:53 20 Jul 12

Sorry Nontek but if it was my company and I still made a reasonable profit after paying commision on recommends, then I would be happy to do so.

chub_tor 17:28 20 Jul 12

Legslip you have slipped up, you should have approached the company before you started making recommendations to people to buy from them and then got your friends to open with "I am here because of a recommendation from Legslip." That way you have proved to the company you can do what you say you can i.e. provide them with good solid leads that their salesman can turn into actual sales.

It may not be too late to start afresh if you do that now, but you are barking up the wrong tree if you think that you will get a commission on sales that are already made.

D@ve 19:37 20 Jul 12

How many is "a number of friends" and over what time period?

The computer sales industry is very cut throat and you'd probably be surprised at how small the profit margins are.

Legslip 00:51 21 Jul 12

Thanks people. Apppreciate comments. What started out as a one 'off' recommend has now developed into several orders but was not aware this would happen at the outset. As per comments, if I had known I would have enquired regarding commision at the outset. Also, I do realise margins are tight. Perhaps the best outcome is that the people who buy 'em are happy with the product?

rdave13 01:11 21 Jul 12

Perhaps the best outcome is that the people who buy 'em are happy with the product?

Best you can hope for. What if the company takes a nose dive financially and you, unknowingly, still recommend them?

Taff™ 08:36 21 Jul 12

I have sent both customers and friends to a local independent computer shop and frequently purchase second hand spare parts from them. This is particularly useful when we need something instantly. The owner is very appreciative and never charges me very much for personal items. He even refuses to take payment for certain things.

We've never had a formal arrangement and it seems to suit us both. Even helped them out for a day when they were busy. I didn't charge him either but he paid me back in kind when I needed a power board for a client.

I know his margins on new computers are very low. We both make our way by setting them up, repairing and sorting software and malware problems. You might even call us friendly competitors!

Legslip 11:56 21 Jul 12

Thanks Dave & Taff. I don't want to buy from the company and add a little bit myself as the margin is small and if anything does go wrong it 'aint worth the agro'. As you say it's better to make a few pennies by setting them up, repairing and sorting software and malware problems. It is just really a case of 'what you don't ask for, you don't get'!

Legslip 11:56 21 Jul 12

Thanks Dave & Taff. I don't want to buy from the company and add a little bit myself as the margin is small and if anything does go wrong it 'aint worth the agro'. As you say it's better to make a few pennies by setting them up, repairing and sorting software and malware problems. It is just really a case of 'what you don't ask for, you don't get'!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced