Sage Payroll and e-submissions (BACS)

PaulB2005 17:37 18 Apr 06

According to Sage i need the e-submissions programs for Sage Payroll to enable BACS payments. They state they can't can't help me get these and that i must get them from each bank.

I can't find any information on these e-submissions programs.

Can anyone help?

wee eddie 17:55 18 Apr 06
  Shas 18:40 18 Apr 06

" .....They state they can't can't help me get these and that i must get them from each bank."

What do Sage mean - the employees' individual bank details? If so, this implies that you do not already have BACS payments set up for your employees, (i.e. you are still paying by cheque??) If that is the case, then the first step is to get bank details from your employees.

Once you have these and have set up the beneficiaries within your online banking, there should be a module (possibly as an extra) within the Sage payroll software that you can enable e-payments through.

I use TAS Payroll and was already paying by BACS, but it was through the TAS software that I had to get the e-payments facility enabled, not the bank.

Sorry if I've misunderstood, but I can't think what else Sage could be referring to. I can't imagine their software is that much different to TAS, (in fact, TAS is a division of Sage!)

PaulB2005 18:57 18 Apr 06

I'll be honest - it's not for me but I'm trying to help a friend.

Sage Payroll has a e-submission section. Apparently in order for my friend to be able to pay his employees via BACS he needs to download software from each bank to be installed into the Sage Software to utilise the e-submission function. If his employees use HSBC, NatWest and RBS then they need the software from each bank. Sadly all Sage can say is "we can't help you. You need to get the software from each respective bank". We can't find a sniff of a clue about where to get this software!

Jackcoms 20:25 18 Apr 06

"we can't help you. You need to get the software from each respective bank".

Which is correct.

Yes, you will input each employees details into Sage but it must then be converted into a format which is BACS readable and, unfortunately, different banks use different formats.

Thus your friend needs the format of the bank he banks with (NOT the format of the employees bank/s).

So if he banks with HSBC and pays all his employees from his HSBC account, he needs to obtain the HSBC BACS format from HSBC.

the old man 20:36 18 Apr 06

I am currently working within M.O.D. and I have set up bank account details from my customers, officers and senior ranks i.e. warrant officers and sargeants etc. I just use an old DOS program which works out bills, transfers the bank detail info and the amounts owed by individuals onto a floppy disk. I then pass the disk to my boss who uses Lloyds TSB bank account via Bacs to tip toe into individual accounts for the money they owe and tip toe out again. I would assume this is the software needed. the software designated by Lloydds TSB, our bank. Not each persons individual bank but your bank. The bank you pay the wages from.

wee eddie 00:07 19 Apr 06

Sage is used by 1000's, maybe even 10's of 1000's of firms to pay their Salaries by BACS. They must know how you get started. Having Googled BACS, there appears to be some special software.

I hope that you are consulting with your Accountant while you set this system up, or I foresee a very heavy Audit bill coming your way. an Accountant should also be able to tell you what else you need.

PaulB2005 08:30 19 Apr 06

"Thus your friend needs the format of the bank he banks with (NOT the format of the employees bank/s)."

Ahhhh..... Speak to Bank Manager?!

"Sage is used by 1000's, maybe even 10's of 1000's of firms to pay their Salaries by BACS. They must know how you get started"

Yes but they're not telling!!!

"I hope that you are consulting with your Accountant while you set this system up"

Mis-typed at the beginning. It's not me. I had three phone calls over Easter from friends and relatives with PC problems that needed sorting - this is one of them. I guess they think i don't need a holiday....

ventanas 08:42 19 Apr 06

Yes, he does need the particular software that his bank offers if he wants to pay them by BACS. An example is Nat West Bankline. It is possible to transfer all details into this from Sage Payroll, but I never trust it, and enter them manually. There is no facility within Sage Payroll to transfer directly to employees bank accounts. But this is not what Sage calls e-submissions. This means the submission of your end of year returns; P45 info etc over the Internet, which I have been doing for some years, and is soon to be compulsory.
I think your friend may have become a bit confused as to what he actually wants to do.

ventanas 08:44 19 Apr 06

Should have mentioned, you can only get the e-submissions add-on from Sage if you are a regsistered user, and have a current maintenance contract, which will cost £250.00 each year.

wee eddie 08:54 19 Apr 06

Well done: That bit about the e-submissions was ringing a bell, in the back of my mind, as to it's similarity to the Inland Revenues new requirements.

PaulB2005: The subject of that particular part of the thread was the asking of the Bank Manager about the relevant software requirements.

If I were you, I would recommend that your friend has the Accountant, who is going to be Auditing/Preparing the Annual Accounts, sit in on the set-up process. Time spent now getting a suitably set-up WILL save a load of money later.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…