Safeway Keyboard SW23

pj123 14:53 01 Apr 04

A friend has this keyboard and needs to know where the backslash (\) key is on it. He has Win98SE and the keyboard and region are set to UK.

The actual key on the keyboard with (\) and (|) are situated on the keyboard at the end of the top row (figures) after the (+) and (=) key. But if you hit it you get hash (#) without the shift and tilde (~) with the shift key. He said the keyboard is made in Germany but the instruction book is in Dutch so no help there. Google brings up lots of entries but only about the "Special Function" keys along the top, (above the F1 to F12) keys. Anyone else got one of these keyboards and can tell me where the backslash key is please?

edstowe 15:01 01 Apr 04

Is there something special about this keyboard (apart from the odd key placements)?

I ask because you can get quite reasonable new keyboards for £10 or less. 2nd hand, you can pick them up for almost nothing - try Oxfam or other charity shop.

surfer girl 15:45 01 Apr 04

If all else fails try holding down the Alt key and typing 92 on the numeric keypad.

Sir Radfordin 15:51 01 Apr 04

Does it also have a stupidly small backspace key?

Is there a key under the }] and to the right of @' since that is where #~ normally are.

Though Edstowes plan makes good sense!

pj123 15:52 01 Apr 04

ßéLâ. No, it's not a US keyboard. All the other keys work as a normal UK English keyboard. The £ sign, @ sign and " are all working fine.

edstowe. The only thing special about it is the Special Function keys, similar to the Microsoft keyboards (or any of these "Easy Access" type keyboards) where you press buttons at the top to log on to the internet, change the volume on the speakers, open a blank doc in word, etc... I personally don't like it at all. I have lots of brand new boxed standard keyboards that I sell for £5 each. But he doesn't want one of these, he wants the one he paid a fortune for to work.

This is only a cursory enquiry, in case someone might know. If no one knows then that's his problem and he will have to live with it. It just seems strange to me that the key is marked with the pipe (|) sign and the (\) sign but gives different results on the screen.

Diodorus Siculus 15:59 01 Apr 04

There is a utility which can be run which allows the user to configure the keys on a keyboard; this might be of benefit if you can track it down (sorry, I cannot remember it's name).

Sir Radfordin 16:03 01 Apr 04

Worth getting proper driver for it:

click here

pj123 16:06 01 Apr 04

surfer girl. Sorry, just seen your response and yes, I have already told him that and it works, but his reaction was "That's not the point".

Sorry, everyone. Your responses are coming in faster than I can read them.

Sir Radfordin. Well I have only seen the keyboard once and the answer is "yes" and "no". The logos on the keyboard are as ßéLâ suggests (US Style) but they have been inked over with what they actually do. eg. Shift + 2 gives " and not @. and Shift + " gives @ etc. The only key that doesn't work correctly is the (|) and (\). I will continue to press him to buy a standard keyboard.

pj123 12:50 02 Apr 04

Sir Radfordin. He has a driver disk, came with it, but it only relates to the Multimedia buttons along the top, not the typing keys. I did try your link in case he has something missing but the driver page for the SW23 is "This page is not available". I noticed the site was last updated 05/09/2002 so maybe this is old hat now. I have just rung him and he has decided it is not worth the hassle. He is going back to a bog standard keyboard. Thanks for all your help. Hope I haven't wasted your time. Ticked.

Sir Radfordin 13:00 02 Apr 04

my time is here for the wasting!

hope you charged him lots!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…