Safely remove hardware.When to use?

Ive 19:21 04 Oct 06

When and why should the, safely remove hardware, be used on usb equipment. Is it neccesary to use it?

Totally-braindead 19:28 04 Oct 06

I'll probably be wrong saying this but it is my understanding that you only have to use this with devices that contain memory to avoid them becomming corrupted, things like MP3 players, digital cameras etc. There is no need to use it for devices that do not contain memory.

I'm willing to be educated people if I have the wrong end of the stick but this is my understanding of it.

mammak 19:31 04 Oct 06

It is a good idea to use it,
it would safe guard against any loss of data on memory sticks ect. although I have to admit I dont always remember.

Diodorus Siculus 19:31 04 Oct 06

I'm with TB on this one; I tend to use it always but with usb drives, my PDA etc., I'm extra careful about it.

Ive 19:36 04 Oct 06

Thanks mate.I used a pals Eye-t usb hd caddy containing a Maxtor 200gig ide hd with mp3 music on and after using (safely remove harder)the drive has become unreadable and says its corrupt.Your thoughts.

Audeal 19:36 04 Oct 06

I used to just pull out my USB Pendrive until one day all the data converted to RAW and became inaccessible. Now I always use the SRH (Safely remove Hardware)Icon.

Stuartli 21:23 04 Oct 06

It should be used, as already pointed out, with memory devices.

Just removing the memory device can/could lead to loss of stored data.

Totally-braindead 21:27 04 Oct 06

I've got to stress that personally I've never lost anything when I've forgotten to click safely remove hardware but I do know other who have so its best to use it. Its there for a reason. Glad to know I was correct in my understanding of when to use it though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…