safely remove hardware in Windows XP

fLeAbOy 12:41 12 Apr 03

This has been driving me nuts for some time now, hope someone can help me out.

I have recently upgraded the drivers for my wireless network card in my laptop. Now i know the new drivers are working perfectly, but whenever windows starts up i have this annoying icon in my system tray, giving me the option of safely removing the hardware from my system.

I initially thought that this might disapear after a number of boot-ups though i have booted my machine over a dozen times since i initially upgraded the drivers and this icon still appears.

Any ideas on how i can get rid of it??? Thanks guys

jazzypop 12:54 12 Apr 03

I presume that this is an external USB device?

If so, the icon is perfectly normal behaviour. Although some manufacturers claim that USB is a hot-swappable standard, simply unplugging an external USB device such as a camera or hard drive will cause severe problems to the operating system.

Therefore, when an external USB device is connected, Windows displays an icon allowing you to tell the system that the device is about to be removed, before it is physically disconnected.

If your drivers were not properly installed, the icon would probably not appear.

Here is a workaround - click here

fLeAbOy 13:17 12 Apr 03

Thanks jazzy the workaround worked great, though i was just wondering if a little bit more info may be of some help that might suggest any other way of removing this icon, as i normally like to keep all my system tray icons viewable so i know whats lurking in memory!!!!

the hardware i installed was to a PCMCIA slot in my laptop so any further suggestions would be great.

thansk again jazzypop

The Sack 13:27 12 Apr 03

You cant remove it you can only hide it. i have the same problem with a USB radio and although hiding it is annoying at first you soon get used to it.

jazzypop 14:18 12 Apr 03

PCMCIA is a hot-swappable standard, therefore the icon will appear. As stated above, the icon can be hidden, but not removed.

See click here for further info

fLeAbOy 16:22 12 Apr 03

thats great fellas thanks for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…