Safely Remove Hardware / Unplug or Eject Hardware

Greengage 11:23 21 Jan 05

When using WinXP the icon for the above appears in the task bar enabling procedure for safe removal of hardware. This does not appear on my PC running Win98SE and so I have just been unplugging whatever hardware when I need to disconnect. I have not experienced any problems but when I did this today I got various messages up on the screen telling me that it was dangerous to do this as data etc could be lost and in fact, Spybot stopped running because of this. I then noticed I had the Safely Remove/Unplug or Eject Icon on the task bar. Can you advise as to how I can get this displayed on Win98SE whenever I connect an external hardware device please.

Timmy!! 11:47 21 Jan 05

The safely remove function is part of XP and cannot be installed on 98 i'm afraid.

Its designed to prevent corruption on any sort of USB hard drive (hard drives, usb memory sticks, digi cameras etc) and i would highly recommend using it to prevent data corruption.

In 98 you'll have to turn off the PC to safely remove such devices. Annoying but these sorts of devices weren't as prevailent when 98 came out so the function wasn't dreamt up till later...

goonerbill © ® 11:48 21 Jan 05

as far as i know its a feature that is only available in winxp. dont remember seeing anything like that in winme either.

Greengage 14:33 21 Jan 05

Fully understand and accept what you both say but the Window came up saying "Unplug or Eject Hardware" (not "Safely Remove") after I had disconnected and it was then I spotted the Icon - the same or very similar to what comes up in Xp - on the taskbar. The Window gave me the option to stop various items of USB hardware that were running and also included TCP/IP although I have ethernet connection for internet.

€dstowe 14:49 21 Jan 05

Be careful. This message only applies to USB and firewire connections. DO NOT unplug ANY other type of connector with the computer powered up. Doing so can cause much damage to your machine - I know, it's happened to me after the cable of a PS/2 mouse and similar keyboard were accidentally kicked and knocked out of their sockets.

Chezdez 14:56 21 Jan 05

actually, the safely remove function is also on windows 2000 ;)

Greengage 21:54 01 Feb 05

Just a concluding note for information - the icon and program seems to have been loaded by the driver software for either/both of my external hard drive or DVD burner. The program exists under USB Detector and shows also as a running program in msconfig. I discovered this when installing the external hard drive and DVD recorder into my other PC and when they were up and running, I had two same icons on the task bar.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…