Safely remove hardware icon shows Local Disc C drive

Sparkly 10:08 AM 07 Feb 13
Answered

Hi all i have added a new hard drive to my desktop for storage of music etc and to fit it i had to unplug the sata cable from my (C) drive on the motherboard, after putting everything back as it was and the new drive was initiated and formatted i noticed on the taskbar the Safely remove hardware icon lists the C drive, not a big deal but more of an annoyance could anyone explain this or how to stop it showing?

On another matter when i installed the 3TB drive after it was formatted it shows 2.72TB free so i lost 280gig to the format is this correct as i thought that it was a lot to lose. Appriciate any comments.

johndrew 10:41 AM 07 Feb 13

Have a look in 'Disk Management' (Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Disk Management) and see what the drive is listed as under 'Properties'. It should be listed as 'Performance'.

Another source of help may be a Microsoft Document you can download.

Chronos the 2nd 10:53 AM 07 Feb 13

On another matter when i installed the 3TB drive after it was formatted it shows 2.72TB free so i lost 280gig to the format is this correct as i thought that it was a lot to lose.

Yes it is right as 7% of the all storage space is used by the file system. Just to make it a bit more interesting.

Giga = 1000MB

Gibi = 1024MB

Hard drive manufacturers use the proper prefix. It's just confusing when everything else uses the now incorrect prefix because it used to be proper.

For example if you had a 1GB HDD it would be 1,000,000,000 bytes. To convert it to the binary version of a gigabyte (gibibyte) (the one you're used to) you have to take the bytes and divide it by the binary equivalent. (1024 ^ 3 or 2 ^ 30). You'll get the difference. So 1,000,000,000 / (2 ^ 30) = 0.931322574615478515625. So for each GB you can take that off.

Sparkly 10:58 AM 07 Feb 13

Hi johndrew its the (C) drive operating system, properties show Loal disc NTFS. In disc managment it says C Heathy Boot (page file crash dump,primary partion) Meant to add W7 Ultimate. Thanks

Sparkly 11:00 AM 07 Feb 13

Thanks Chronos the 2nd thought it would be correct just thought it was a lot. Thanks for the reply.

johndrew 15:56 PM 07 Feb 13

If you feel confident in going into the Registry This Fix should resolve the problem. It disables the removable hardware facility for the drive.

Sparkly 16:37 PM 07 Feb 13

Hi again johndrew took a look in the registry folled the instructions to HKEYLOCALMACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\nvata but no nvata listed there. Thanks

Chronos the 2nd 16:56 PM 07 Feb 13

I found a free little app that removes the Safely Remove Hardware Icon from the sys tray.

Icon remover.

Sparkly 17:18 PM 07 Feb 13
Answer

Thanks Chronos the 2nd but i have now got it sorted, i took a look in the bios and under the sata configuration the 3TB drive HotPlug cable had been set to enabled looking at the rest they were all disabled so i disabled that one allso. Safely remove hardware icon has now dissapeared unless i plug something in now. Thanks for your help and allso johndrew. Sorted.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia Z5 review: Hands-on with the phone which the Z3+ should have been

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Get your photos turned into illos by some of the world’s best artists

What to expect at the September Apple event: Apple announces 9 September event, sends out invites