Safely remove hardware icon!

tryingtosussit 19:27 04 Jan 05

Just appeared on my startup menu - since updating
Adware or may be just a coincindence - Norton Antivirus does not seem to pick it up?

Paul

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:35 04 Jan 05

Safely remove hardware icon allows you to switch off a device plugged into your PC before removingg it.

I.E. card reader, external harddrive, camera etc.

Totally-braindead 19:37 04 Jan 05

Appeared on mine when I installed an external broadband modem.

INVERNESSGUY 19:39 04 Jan 05

i have it too... i have external adsl modem, and external hard drive, can i get rid of it? and how?

THE TERMINATOR 19:44 04 Jan 05

If you have a problem, then start your own thread. This one belongs to tryingtosussit....TT

bamfiesler 19:46 04 Jan 05

you don't want to get rid of it; it's a necessary function. If you were, say, to insert a memory stick into a USB slot upload data from it and then remove it without clicking on the 'Safely remove...' icon, your system could crash, or you could lose data. Someone else might know the exact benefits for leaving it be.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:48 04 Jan 05

Its an internal windows option you can't and don't want to get rid of it.

Graham ® 19:50 04 Jan 05

Right click the taskbar, Properties, check 'Hide inactive icons'.

Technotiger 19:55 04 Jan 05

Hi, I have it on my bar too because I have a built-in Multi-card reader. As Fruit Bat/\0/\ says, don't try to get rid of it.

Cheers.

THE TERMINATOR 20:11 04 Jan 05

To hide this icon, right click the taskbar, choose properties, click on customize, locate the icon for Safely Remove Hardware and change it's behaviour to Always Hide, you will only see the icon if you click on the arrow on the Notification Area....TT

THE TERMINATOR 20:15 04 Jan 05

The icon only shows up when you install new hardware, and the only way to permanently remove it is to remove the hardware, which you don't want to do!...TT

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…