Safely Remove Hardware

Some d00d 15:06 02 Sep 04

Hello, I just installed a 6in1 card reader on windows xp pro, but at the taskbar there is a new icon saying safely remove hardware and it shows up on all the hardware I install. Does anyone know how to get rid of it or why it is there? thank you.

Belatucadrus 15:17 02 Sep 04

Part of Windows to permit hot removal of certain USB components, I don't think you can get rid of it.

ventanas 15:20 02 Sep 04

It has to be there for when you want to remove the reader. Don't just unplug it,that can lead to problems. Click this icon first, and select the reader in the window that opens. Then select "Stop." You then get a message that you can unplug.

It should not appear for anything like printers, scanners etc. Only removeable devices like card readers or zip drives.

johnsims 15:22 02 Sep 04

You will get this with all removable harware such as cameras, usb disks, removable card readers etc. When you want to remove the piece of hardware, double click on the system tray icon and then remove hardware when it says it is safe to do so. Saves having to shut down to remove them, and is one of the enhancements to Windows provided by XP.

fsbb 16:01 02 Sep 04

It will always be there but you can hide it. Right click on task bar > select Properties > select Customise > click Safely Remove Hardware > then select Always Hide > click Apply.

Some d00d 16:43 02 Sep 04

Ok thanks all. I think I will just have to leave it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…