Safely preparing computers for disposal

heidelberg 10:26 19 Jun 03

Any advice on safely preparing computers for disposal would be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking in terms of erasing all data completely before passing on the machines to new owners. I am aware that when you hit the delete key, the items conncerned are not actually deleted.

I have looked through the discussion archive, but with no success. Perhaps I am asking the wrong questions

Bodi 10:29 19 Jun 03

are intent on using software to retrieve your data, which is hardly likely, I'd just Fdisk the hard drive and format it. Good as anything.

if you know who you are giving them to Bodi's advice will probably suffice as data recovery is not easy but for extra security you could use a program such as 'Sure Delete' which overwrites the disk as many times as you like. there are various utilities to do this i only mention this one because its free.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…