Safe way to read emails..?

greybeard 23:34 31 Jan 05

If I receive mail from an unknown sender, or one with no subject line, I always go to file/properties/message source" to read it.
Am I right in thinking this is a safe way to read the mail?
I've got NAV in place, updated continually, and have found this always picks up any nasties coming in, and use this really as a "belt and braces".

johnnyrocker 23:37 31 Jan 05

get mailwasher from the downloads section of this site, you can then delete from server before d/loading to your machine.

johnny.

ACOLYTE 23:39 31 Jan 05

If i receive emails from unknown and with no title i think the safest way to deal with them is bin them,don't even bother reading the source,some bright spark of a virus programmer may have already thought about this and set the nasty to activate on people doing this,they may be scumbags but they arenot stupid.

stalion 23:40 31 Jan 05
  greybeard 23:42 31 Jan 05

Unfortunately, I do get genuine enquiries for my work, even from professional sources, who forget to add a subject line.
Deleting them from the server or from my mail bag ignores the whole point of the enquiry.

end 01:17 01 Feb 05

as one of the "rare-bread" that does not use OE; I read my mails on server; I have mailwasher on here, and any strange or suspect mail I preview in mailwasher, and can delete it if not wanted:)

greybeard 08:45 01 Feb 05

Interesting approach, end, but all I want is an answer to my original question, rather than other ways of doing it.
Thanks anyway.

greybeard 08:46 01 Feb 05

Interesting approach, end, but all I want is an answer to my original question, rather than other ways of doing it.
Thanks anyway.

Andsome 08:51 01 Feb 05

As far as I am aware, there is no absolute guaranteed safe way to open an e-mail, once it is on your computer. If as suggested, you install Mailwasher, you can read it while it is still on the server, and only download it if you are happy. You CANNOT get a virus from reading it on the server. I believe that this DOES answer your question.

end 08:54 01 Feb 05

greybeard
sorry::((

recap 08:57 01 Feb 05

Right click the email and select Properties/Details (tab)/Message Source, this will open an email without showing that it has been opened. This works in Outlook Express.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…