Safe to use Ni-Cd batteries with Digital Camera

Halmer 22:45 27 Dec 03

The manual suggests that I use Ni-MH rechargeables yet I have loads of Ni-Cd ones.

Are these (1.2v AA) batteries afe to use and what is the difference please?

Jester2K 22:59 27 Dec 03

Ni-Cd are OK but won't have the life of Ni-Mh.

Also Ni-Cd stuff "battery memory" where if you only use say 50% of the charge before charging then after a while they'll start only charging to 50%

Better to get down Dixons with £20 in your hand and get a Uniross "Hi Drain" or "Photo" Charger with 4 Ni-Mh. Get at least 1800 MAh (the higher the better)

Jester2K 23:03 27 Dec 03

click here

Alkaline batteries are better but more expensive.

I get 200+ flash photos from my 4 AA Ni-Mh Uniross in my FujiFilm S304 from one charge....

ton 23:03 27 Dec 03

The nicad batteries are ok to use.

The newer metal hydride type are better and will give a longer use between charges, that is why they are recomended.

The voltage is the same on both, so no problem

ton 23:06 27 Dec 03

click here for cheap (and good) Ni-Mh batteries and chargers.

sattman 23:09 27 Dec 03

The Ni-cd will work fine, but make sure that they are of equivalent capacity to those recommended by the camera manufacturer and are all the same capacity.

The main problem with nicads is that they suffer from memory effect, over time and more so if they are continually recharged before they are fully discharged. the full charge capacity of the cell becomes less and less.

There is a process that can restore them to their original state it involves controlled discharge and full charging.

Ni-MH do not suffer from this problem but usually they are more expensive to buy.

Halmer 11:38 28 Dec 03

tells me not to use alkaline ones Jester 2K.

Jester2K 11:51 28 Dec 03

Then you are better to use the Ni-Mh ones then. Ni-Cd will be fine but have a few drawbacks compared to Ni-Mh...

Stuartli 12:13 28 Dec 03

Buy a quick charge Ni-MH battery charger (one or two hours which will also charge up Ni-Cad batteries, get at least double the number of Ni-MH batteries you require for your camera (half as backup) and get the highest capacity ones you can (2000 or 2200Mah if possible for maximum shooting potential).

You will find that using Ni-Cad is a waste of time as they are drained very quickly; Ni-MH also have the great benefit of not having a "memory" disadvantage and can be recharged even when only half used if necessary.

Sheila-214876 12:20 28 Dec 03

It's not the voltage that counts it's the amperage. NiCads are probably only about 600mAH. You need at least 1.5mAH. I use NiMH batteries with 1.8mAH. Also NICads do have a memory effect as Jester2K points out. NiMH batteries don't, in fact the instruction sheet says the more you charge them the better they work. Do what I do with my NiCad batteries, use them in your torch or doorbell or walkman until they finally give up.

anchor 13:17 28 Dec 03

I see that 2300mAh, NiMh batteries are now available at sevendayshop.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…