safe to unplug while pc is in hibernation?

Carafaraday 12:37 21 Sep 04

I've read through all the past posts but somehow couldn't quite decide whether it's ok to turn off the power when the pc is in hibernation or whether I should wake it up only to shut it down for the night?

I usually unplug the mains overnight, and occasionally return to the pc at bedtime to find it is already in hibernation mode. Seems silly to wake the poor thing up only to shut it down again, but I'm not sure what's best for its welfare?

Carafaraday 09:19 22 Sep 04

Sorry for being pushy but I'd really be grateful for an answer ..............

JonnyTub 09:22 22 Sep 04

personally i'd wake it up first. purely because i know that's a safe way of doing it and the other way i'm not really sure about, but that doesn't really answer your question :-(

Carafaraday 09:24 22 Sep 04

Thanks for the reply! You're right, I'll just keep waking it up unless anyone can tell me it's ok not to.

Simon_P 09:32 22 Sep 04

In hibernation all possesses, programs and settings etc are stores in RAM.
So the system would not shutdown properly

Stuartli 09:35 22 Sep 04

When you select Hibernation, XP saves all current data, settings etc and then goes into the minimum standby mode.

You will probably "get away" with just switching your system off but it's not advisable.

For the few seconds it takes to turn on the system again and then shut it down properly it's not worth risking the possibility of future problems.

Carafaraday 10:06 22 Sep 04

Thanks, everyone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…