Safe repair for Windows

Chrissib 08:52 01 May 09

Hi, in efforts to regain control of my printer (on different thread), I have come to the conclusion I need to re-install or repair Windows. Is there a safe way to do this without destroying other data on my system, such as ROM, Video, keyboad, drivers.

I was never given a system disk with my PC, and the company I bought it from don't want to know.

Any assistance greatly appreciated
Regards
Chris

ened 09:18 01 May 09

If you do not have a Windows Installation disc you can either buy one or try one of the following:

System Restore to a time when the printer worked.

Press F8 whilst booting and try the 'Last known good configuration' option.

If you do have a disc and lose the drivers {for stuff like the keyboard etc} they should run with generic drivers then you would simply have to go to the relevant web sites to download the specific ones.

Hope this helps.

rawprawn 09:34 01 May 09

Here are full instructions, read them and follow them carefully. Print out if you are not sure, this way you will not loose data only windows updates which you can get afterwards.

click here

rawprawn 09:35 01 May 09

OOPs sorry, you have no disc, can you borrow an XP disc?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:09 01 May 09

Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.
If this happens follow the link below to see if you have a I386 folder on your hard drive. and point sfc at the folder.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

If you have the I386 folder and sfc doesn't sort your problem then a repair may be possible by booting to Safe Mode with command Prompt.
Type in C:\Windows\I386\winnt32.exe /unattend
Space after .exe. Enter. Follow the repair procedure posted by raprawn
If that does not work, type in the example without Windows. Good luck!

Chrissib 13:35 09 May 09

Thanks for the suggestions...
I went through the repair options and now my printer works. But not in 'Outlook' for some reason, and something else doesn't work... when I open a help file, and click on display, nothing happens.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:49 09 May 09

Start - Run - type
services.msc
- press OK

scroll down to help and support select it - right click - properties in the drop down box set start up type to Automatic and click start button.

close services and then try a help file again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now