Safe Removal of USB Memory Stick

SURVEY 16:53 29 May 08

Why is it that one particular memory stick will not permit a safe removal on my desktop machine? I get the message 'the generic volume cannot be stopped now'. However safe removal works with this memory stick on my laptop computer. Yet other usb devices permit a safe removal on the desktop machine.

Forum Editor 17:16 29 May 08

but I can tell you that you needn't worry - provided a USB stick isn't being read, or written to you can go ahead and pull it out anyway. You'll do no harm to either computer or stick.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:20 29 May 08

Some sticks don't like a particular USB chipset, all my sticks work ok on a Medion PC,
One stick dosn't work well on my IBM laptop nother dosn't like the HP laptop.

sometimes refreshing the USB ports will help for awhile.
Refresh USB Ports
Use Drive clean up to remove USB device drive info from the registry
click here
or
In device manager Uninstall EVERYTHING under the heading USB,
reboot the PC let XP find and install new hardware.
Your equipment should now be recognised.

SURVEY 17:47 29 May 08

Fruit Bat /\0/\ - Not sure if refreshing the usb ports will do the trick as another stick of the same make (Kingston) allows the Safe Removal to work on my desktop. Odd how the stick that then does not work on the desktop does work on the laptop!

One other query - when disconnecting any usb stick and most devices from the usb port, my broadband conection is disconnected also!

woodchip 17:50 29 May 08

As FE if the usb is not being written pull it out

SURVEY 18:02 29 May 08

I have been doing as the FE says without ill-effect!!

Thanks all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…