Safe mode or safe mode with networking pls???

julius44 19:40 01 Nov 10

Hello all, my friend prev had some pop ups on her partners sony viao laptop, running windows 7(only had it for 6 weeks)..i prev told her to use the Kaspersky removal tool, and cleaned the laptop, and the pop ups were removed, but now I want her also donwload malware-bytes just to be sure, as she has a desktop, in her house so she can use a usb stick, and install the malware-ware bytes on the laptop with a usb pen drivr from her desktop. I have 2 very important questions pls.
Question 1: Should she use safe mode OR safe mode with networking to when intalling the malware-bytes on the laptop??(pls note the laptops internet is not currently working)

Question 2: As there is only internet explorer installed on the laptop, and for some reason the laptops internet is not working...are there ANY BASIC CHECKS, that i can go over with her on the fone just to check what the problem could be....I say BASIC, becos she is NOT really pc savvy and i dont wanna guide her through something thats over her head,...thats why I just need standard/easy checks that can be carried out to determine WHY there is still no internet on the laptop,...after i got her to use the kaspersky removal tool in safe mode, and it removed the pop ups/virus.
If i can kindly get answers to BOTH the questions please,........that would be very much appreciated.....as she's hoping to get back online with the laptop tonight..or as soon as possible

Nontek 19:51 01 Nov 10

Safe Mode WITH Networking.

Many laptops have a key combination to 'switch on/off' WiFi ....... we need to know exact Make/Model of laptop to advise further.

julius44 20:00 01 Nov 10

Hello Nontek, its a sony viao laptop, i can try and get more info from her...when u say safe mode with networking, but the laptops internet is not currently working anyway, as I mentioned before...so is there any point of me doing it in safe mode with networking if the laptop has got on internet currently???

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:04 01 Nov 10

Run malwarebytes in safemode

How does she connect to the internet by wire or wireless?

Try coupling a ethernet cable to the router and then see if she can get on line.

Check device manager for Exclamation marks against any drivers

Nontek 20:07 01 Nov 10

Need to know exact laptop model, there are quite a few.

Might be just a case of moving an actual switch on laptop to get on-line capabilities, in which case 'with Networking' - otherwise, no harm in using Safe mode without networking.

Nontek 20:09 01 Nov 10
  julius44 20:38 01 Nov 10

thanks Fruitbat..pls can u tell me how she can get to the device manager in windows 7 please to check for any exclamation marks, many thanks. I use windows XP, which i'm familiar with,...but windows 7, i'm not really familiar wiath at all.

Nontek 20:42 01 Nov 10
  julius44 20:54 01 Nov 10

many thanks Non-tek, fruitbat, ive gotten her to scan the laptop in safe-mode now, and already its picked up 34 issues...so ive told her i'll ring her back by 9.30pm, i'm hoping that malware-bytes will solve all the probs, and the internet will now work ok(fingers crossed)...but also as per the windows 7 device manager, what settings can I tell her to check in device manager order for her to confirm that the internet is set up correctly pls?? As i'm just trying to narrow things down for her, many thanks

Nontek 21:06 01 Nov 10

Just see if there are any yellow marks by anything in Device Manager.

julius44 21:36 01 Nov 10

She's scanned the laptop, it found 84 isuues and it removed them, still the internet is still not working, but i'm thinking its something under here:

click here, but i'm not sure what the issue is..or maybe something in the LAN settings....how can i identify this pls??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now