Safe Mode Only on XP

Kilty 16:49 12 Oct 09

Im am having a problem after a recent virus scan. The avira scan reported back that files contanined a trojan in some win32.dll files. After sending the problem to be removed, I found that the PC will only start up in safe mode. I have also lost all dates to do a system restore. Can anyone suggest something for me to do to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance for any help given.

howard64 17:36 12 Oct 09

if you have the xp cd go to run and type sfc /scannow note a space after sfc. If you do not have the cd google how to run sfc without cd.

woodchip 17:41 12 Oct 09

Don't think CD will work in Safe Mode. If you Have a oem XP CD not Restore CD, you can use it to do a Repair of XP

Kilty 17:47 12 Oct 09

Have tried to run the sfc program, but with no luck. In the command promt I type,

cmd
sfc /scannow

and get the following message:
You must be an administrator running a console session in order to use the windows File Checker

I am an administrator. From other sites I have read, I think its because it is a laptop and not a desktop?

Thanks for all help so far and any more given.

birdface 17:56 12 Oct 09

Can you not go back into Avira and allow it to run again.or try last good configuration.or run sfc /scannow but you need the XP disc to do that.or try it without it.

woodchip 17:56 12 Oct 09

As above Do a Repair by Starting with the CD then choose Setup windows follow the above

Kilty 18:01 12 Oct 09

Sorry, should have said earlier, no cd. The last good config does not make any difference. Im trying to find a way to get the sfc /scannow to work, but am getting no where.

Thanks again for all advice and anymore given.

woodchip 18:06 12 Oct 09

Try borrowing a CD, If you get it sorted you should consider buying Acronis True Image to make Images of you Drive when its Working Okay without Viruses

MAT ALAN 18:12 12 Oct 09

You might want to empty your "system volume info files" (by turning off system restore) which is where your restore points are located as a lot of virus's can be located there undetected, if you are trying to restore your PC to a time that includes one of these virus's it will always appear on your system...

Kilty 18:38 12 Oct 09

I have asked around and can get XP pro, but Im on home, will a recovery work?

Thanks again for all advice so far.

woodchip 19:23 12 Oct 09

No you need the same one as yours to do a repair

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5