Safe Mode

AubreyS 10:43 01 Feb 03

If I need to get into safe mode my PC just shuts down. I have tried all the alternative ways of getting into safe mode but the PC always shuts down.

Gongoozler 11:11 01 Feb 03

AubreyS, this behaviour is described by Microsoft. "When you attempt to start Windows in Safe mode, you may receive the following message:
It is now safe to turn off your computer. -or- The computer may automatically shut down.

They say that it could be caused if the keyboard driver file, Keyboard.drv, is missing or damaged.

http: //support.microsoft.com/?kbid=305650

(Remove the space after http: when you paste the link into your browser address window)

Gongoozler 11:49 01 Feb 03

I don't actually get any error messages. Its just if I want to go into safe mode I can't When I boot up the PC I hit F8 so I get the start-up screen, I then choose Safe Mode, the PC then pauses and say's, Its safe to shut down the PC and then does so. It won't let me go into safe mode.

---------------------------------------------

Hi Aubrey, it's best to reply via the" Add a new response" box at the bottom of this page. That keeps the thread alive so someone else can come in with some ideas.

I think there are 3 possible causes for this problem. You could have a virus, so try a full scan for viruses. If you don't have antivirus software, get your system scanned online at click here, or download free avg antivirus software from click here.

The next possibility is that you have a trojan (similar in effect to a virus). You can download The Cleaner on a free 30 day trial from click here.

You may also have a damaged system file. You don't say what version of Windows you have, but in Windows 98 (se) you can go to Start - Run, then enter into the window sfc and click OK, then select Scan for altered files.

AubreyS 13:38 01 Feb 03

Hi Gongoozler.
Thanks for that. I will give those suggestios a try. I operate behind a firewall 99% of the time, so I think a virus is unlikely, although, one never knows!!

AubreyS 13:41 01 Feb 03

I have Windows Me.

-pops- 13:43 01 Feb 03

Firewalls don't protect against viruses!!

You need good antivirus software - just as important and perhaps more so than a firewall.

Brian

AubreyS 13:50 01 Feb 03

Thanks Brian.
Like I said, one never knows. Even antivirus is not 100% effective unless its up to date.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…