Safe Mode

Kev.Ifty 02:43 29 Oct 10

I want to boot up in Safe mode. F8 just gives me a list of boot options like HDD or CD/DVD.

Tried MSCONFIG safe boot but didn't get Safe mode.

Got Security Tool virus on Mrs.ifty's account and cant get rid :-(

I have googled it and Malwarebytes software seams to delete it. However it's back each time I log in to Mrs.ifty's account!

How do I get this PC into safe mode?

Sorry if I am being thick lol.

Strawballs 04:06 29 Oct 10

Make and model please

kristain 07:29 29 Oct 10

1. insert the operating system CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
Note:Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.

2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
Note:If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.

3. When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

4. At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following then press Enter:

chkdsk /r

5. Allow this to run UNDISTURBED until completed (45 min or so)

mgmcc 07:58 29 Oct 10

Try "F5" instead of "F8". This gives the option to boot into Safe Mode in *SOME* computers.

birdface 09:25 29 Oct 10

Have a look through this.

click here

birdface 09:28 29 Oct 10

You have to keep Tapping F8 or F5 as the computer starts to get into safe mode.

birdface 09:40 29 Oct 10

Microsoft removal tool.

click here

Or maybe try this one.

click here

If your security programs find the problem and delete it maybe best turning system restore off as it sometimes hides in there.
Anything in msconfig start up that should not be there or running in Task manager.

Kev.Ifty 00:39 30 Oct 10

Sorry Strawballs I have been a member of PCA long enough and should know better. It's a Medion Intel i3 2.93GHZ Windows 7.

Thanks for every ones response. Just got in from work and shall try all suggestions in the morning.

It's safe mode I am trying to get to work so that I can remove this "Security Tool" thing from Mrs' account.

Cheers

Sea Urchin 00:46 30 Oct 10

Malwarebytes on it's own won't remove Security Tool - you need to follow buteman's first link very closely - repeated here:

click here

Scroll down to Automated Removal Instructions....

It does involve using Safe Mode with Networking, and you'll need to download Malwarebytes again as your copy will have become corrupted by the virus.

Andsome 08:19 30 Oct 10

As mentioned above, my computer also uses f5 to boot into safe mode. f8 gives me the choice of drives to boot from, such as C or D, or E with an Acronis boot disc in it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now