Safe Mode

maz2 22:52 17 Jan 05

A friend's PC has suddenly gone into safe mode while using OE (windows 98) I believe she was sending pics at the time. She's shut down and re-started but it's still in safe mode, any ideas about how to get it into normal again, I seem to remember something like this happening with 98 and having to adjust something in display but I can't remember, I don't know if she's just assuming that's it's in safe because the desktop has gone haywire

pipedream 23:01 17 Jan 05

Sometimes this can be caused by the system.ini file getting corrupted - from Safe Mode, load system.ini into Wordpad and look for any gibberish at the top & delete it. Save it back as system.ini & see what happens. Sometimes you will also find a system.ini.bak file which should be a backup of the original.

maz2 10:55 18 Jan 05

Sorry but I think that is a bit beyond me, I'm only a fiddler, I can usually sort a problem eventually but as for all the technical jargon I'm completely lost

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…