safe mode

cubicle 13:45 01 Jul 04

hi folks windows xp. when rebooting to go into safe mode by pressing f8 all i get is a list of drivers followed by a freeze i then have to shut down & reboot normally, reason i want safe mode is to run scandisc which won't scan in normal start up.
any ideas folks

Graham ® 13:55 01 Jul 04

Try defragging with Diskeeper lite

click here

Graham ® 13:56 01 Jul 04

I should scan for virus, too.

rawprawn 15:07 01 Jul 04

Are you sure it has frozen, it takes quite a while after the long list of drivers to carry on to safe mode.?

bretsky 15:12 01 Jul 04

Try switching your pc off and leave for at least 30secs then reboot tapping the F8 key.

Or you could click on my computer and right click on the C drive and click properties and click on the tools tab, you will see a heading " error checking click on NOW and when you next reboot your pc will perform a "scandisc" checking the hard drive for errors.

bretsky ;0)

cubicle 21:30 01 Jul 04

downloaded diskeeper & did a defrag did have a virus but removed previous set up to factory setting virus scanner tells me no virus but states there were some files it couldnt access but were very low risk.yes fairly certain it freezes i left it 5 mins' without reboot
i do use my computer icon to get into scandisc but got the message could not defrag because files (some) are in use, hence i decided use safe mode where ive discovered it freezes so i boot up normally & get the message "cannot open the volume for direct access"from scandisc

rawprawn 18:24 02 Jul 04

Bump

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…