Safe, informed website advice on spyware please

Warwicks 13:39 16 Nov 04

I am experiencing massive problems with spyware and adware, viruses the lot. Can anyone tell me how to clean up my machine. It seems completely infested and I don't think it is safe from anything. Any internet use is now extremely difficult due to it not firing up sites let alone ways to fix them. I am currently on another machine. Any website that I can trust to fully look at potential sources of help would be appreciated.

Can I clean the whole thing by just binning the old infected hard drive or should I just be thinking of a new machine completely. It is XP, 2 yr old Dell notebook, was very quick, no longer when surfing.

Jackcoms 13:50 16 Nov 04

This forum is as good a place as any!

As a starter, download, install, update and run click here
click here
click here
click here

Then download, install and update click here which will always run in the background and sets 'kill bits' to permanently block malware from ever being installed on your machine.

Report back after you've used these scanners. Make you that you run complete scans with your System Restore turned OFF. Turn it back on after scanning.

Jackcoms 13:55 16 Nov 04

I assume that you're running a good up-to-date AV scanner such as Norton, McAfee or one of the freebies such as AVG??

Warwicks 16:46 16 Nov 04

My Norton doesn't work anymore (it is 2002) even though I last paid an updated fee in Feb 04. Feels like it was a waste in fact! Could it have been disabled by a virus? Thanks for your input though. I will try it and let you know. Are they free sites? I am at work and need to crack on here before the day passes by.

rawprawn 16:51 16 Nov 04

advice is excellent, here is another to download and click here For an AV I would recomend click here it looks after itself after you have installed it.

Jackcoms 18:37 16 Nov 04

Warwicks

"My Norton doesn't work anymore"

At the risk of sounding callous - you've probably only got yourself to blame for your problems if you've been running without 'protection'.

Follow the advice given above and let us know how you get on.

By the way, I use NAV 2002 without problem. Have you tried un-installing and re-installing it?

The links I gave are all for freeware.

Buchan 35 18:56 16 Nov 04

Excellent choices Jackcoms

VCR97 19:05 16 Nov 04

If you are thinking installing anything other than the above I suggest that you look at click here

961 19:19 16 Nov 04

You need Avast, Zone Alarm, Spybot, Spywareblaster. All are free

You don't say if you are on dial up or broadband, but I suggest you consider a new ISP and e-mail address

Do your friends with e-mail adresses in your computer's adress book have problems?

Turn off System Restore before any scans

Don't use free music download sites etc

It should not be necessary to ditch hardware but it is essential to use a virus checker that checks for updates itself automatically every time you turn on your computer. Avast will do this and requires no payment for home use

User-312386 21:45 16 Nov 04

Re-format hard drive or carry out a "restore to factory settings"

Do you have an XP disc?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…