Safe formating hard-drive

simongy 21:39 10 Feb 04

My pc has been slowing down plus the fact it has loads of old programs and files I don't use anymore. I would like to do a full clean format on it.
I have all the original windows and program disks. What is the order of re-installing everything? Will I need to use my motherboard cd?
How long will it take?
Will windows auto detect my hardware?
pc specs: 1.3 gb processor, win: xp pro, 20gb h/d, 258mb mem. cd writer, dvd drive.
Thks in advance

LastChip 21:54 10 Feb 04

From what you have described, there shouldn't be any major problems in carrying out a clean install.

It sounds as though your machine would be capable of booting directly from the CD, so go into the BIOS and see if you can set this as the first boot device. If so, set it, back up any data you wish to keep (as you will loose everything), format the drive, place the Windows XP Cd in the drive and boot-up. Windows will now install itself onto your drive.

Once the installation is complete, the very next thing to do is install the motherboard drivers from your motherboard CD, or if you have later drivers, from your backup source.

Then its just a question of tidying up. Load any remaining required drivers, but most probably, XP will have take care of that for you.

frazky 22:54 10 Feb 04

xp can save your settings- or u can a utility that helps with this.
-- see this ..
click here

simongy 20:09 11 Feb 04

thks for help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…