Safe download of Avast (Free)

tonyq 08:55 25 Dec 14

Firstly Merry Christmas to you all. Please could anyone give me the website address to safely download Avast Free Antivirus, or would Microsoft Security Essentials be a better bet?

PS Where do I find search in PC Advisor?

john bunyan 09:08 25 Dec 14

I would steer clear of MSE. A safe site for free Avast is

Filehippo Avast

Happy Christmas

natdoor 10:06 25 Dec 14

The search facility is locted top right of thepge in the yellow background. It says "Google Custom Search" but searches the various forums for whatever text you input.

Ian in Northampton 10:40 25 Dec 14

www.ninite-com is your friend - guaranteed nasty-free...

tonyq 11:30 25 Dec 14

thank you all for your input. I still cannot see search! hear is a picture of "Safe download of Avast (Free)" page,which is on my screen.I must be missing something.

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:48 25 Dec 14

the avast page points to a download via cnet which bundles chrome (and possibly others with it

filehippo is you safest bet.

I have had tool bars package with Ninite stuff even though they guarantee not to download other stuff.

spuds 11:49 25 Dec 14

tonyq

If you used the 'Google custom search' at the top corner of the PCA page, then that might be the reason you have received the 'returned back to original site page' you did.

I had this happen to me the other day, wondered why, and then came to the conclusion that the above was the problem.

Perhaps something for PCA to look into?.

Perhaps someone else could try and see if they get the same results?.

spuds 11:54 25 Dec 14

On a recent internet check, Filehippo appears to have had recent 'rogue' downloads with some programs, if some reports are true. So it might pay to be a little wary regarding completing a download from even the most reliable websites. Majorgeeks is one of my preferred download websites, but even that comes under scrutiny now.

rdave13 12:29 25 Dec 14

Major geeks is another safe site. When installing Avast use the custom install and untick the boxes for chrome and google toolbar.

rdave13 12:39 25 Dec 14

Jock1e just installed the free version of Avast from file hippo, using the custom install, on a Toshiba laptop. No problems.

spuds 13:05 25 Dec 14

rdave13 - You probably will not get get problems, it was just a case that it was reported recently that Filehippo was becoming suspect with one or two downloads.

cnet is by one of the far nowadays, that have bad reports on bundled or suspect problem downloads.

Coming back to my previous request. Can someone try the Google custom serarch, to see if they have redirection problems.

Apologies to tonyq, for hijacking, but like I mentioned earlier, it might have something to do with their comment and web-shot?.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…