Safe to delete 'old' Windows folder>reinstallation

Limariami 12:56 10 Apr 04

Hi all. Sorry if this is daft.

I have reinstalled Windows 98SE twice on my system each time renaming the file so at the moment i have three folders on my HD called
C:\windows
C:\windowsa
C:\windowsb

I want to free up my space and I am 99% sure that it is OK to delete the two 'old' folders.

But is there anythinig I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance.

spikeychris 13:02 10 Apr 04

As long as you're not using the files in the folders it will be OK to delete them.

keith-236785 13:04 10 Apr 04

yes it is safe to delete old windows folders, as long as you delete them, then shutdown & restart before emptying your recycle bin.

If your system runs ok with the other two windows folders in the bin then it will be safe to empty the recycle bin.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 13:05 10 Apr 04

Should be ok just dont delete the worng one lol,Just out of interest why did you reinstall and change the folder name? windows should overwrite all the files in the c/windows folder when you reinstall it.

Regards.

Limariami 13:12 10 Apr 04

bloody hell that was quick!

thanks guys

in response,

i'd thought of hiding the folders in the bin but there is a limit to the size of folders you can place in there.

the renaming was a rare flash of genius on my part. i was having HUGE problems reinstallnig Windows so i decided to change the file name and it worked ! don't ask me why because i havent the foggiest...

the-george 13:31 10 Apr 04

WHY NOT DELETE JUST ONE FOLDER AS SUGGESTED ABOVE THEN IF ALL OK DELETE THE OTHER. IF THE FOLDER IS TOO BIG FOR THE BIN THEN OPEN IT UP AND TRANSFER ALL THE FILES INTO THE BIN THEN DELETE THE EMPTY FOLDER. MAKE SURE YOU ELECT TO SHOW HIDDEN FILES.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 13:34 10 Apr 04

The bin size is usually 10% of the drive and depends on the drive size itself as to what it is to alter it right click the bin and select properties and set it to what you wont.

Regards.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…