Safe to delete files in "Program Files"?

Skeletor 10:45 07 Mar 05

Hi all,

After uninstalling various programs which are no longer required, there is often a folder with a couple of files left behind in the "Program Files" folder.Is it safe to manually delete these or should they be left alone.

Thanks,

Steve

mbp 11:03 07 Mar 05

If you are speaking of Start>All Programs, These are Short Cut Files and can be re-arranged, moved, deleted safely, or put into folders.

What happens when your All Programs list has filled the page? Can anyone elucidate, please?

BRYNIT 11:07 07 Mar 05

If you have folders remaining after uninstalling a program it is safe to remove them. removing redundant folder helps with disk space.

Skeletor 11:14 07 Mar 05

mbp,

Just to clarify.

My 30 day trial of Nikon Capture has just expired, so to tidy things up I uninstalled the program, but there is still a folder called "Nikon" in C:\program files. I don't have anything else by Nikon installed. Would it be safe to delete this folder?

Steve

Skeletor 11:18 07 Mar 05

Thanks BRYNIT

Steve

mattyc_92 11:19 07 Mar 05

Yes provided you have uninstalled the program by using the "add/remove programs" list in the control pannel....

JaßîsFaß ˜ 11:23 07 Mar 05

safe about deleting them, leave them in your recycle bin for a week or two, then delete when you are happy it is not affecting anything else.

Skeletor 11:41 07 Mar 05

Thanks mattyc_92 and JaßîsFaß ˜,

mattyc_92,

That reminds of a question I've been asking myself for ages. Is it best to use a programs uninstall feature or use "Add or remove programs" in XP control panel?

Steve

mattyc_92 11:45 07 Mar 05

They are the same thing... The list in the control pannel are just "links" (if you will) to the company's uninstall feature....

You can get some third party uninstallers that can delete all the files without a trace, but they CAN be expensive... A cheap one would be "TuneUp Utilities 2004" from click here

Skeletor 11:50 07 Mar 05

Thanks mattyc_92,

Steve

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…