Safe to delete .cpy files from hard disc?

Resolution 12:53 24 Apr 07

I have a 30 GB hard disk and the system has been running slower and slower of late. I ran the Windirstat Utility from the latest issue of PC Advisor and discovered that most space on the hard disc is taken up by a Folder called _Restore which is 13.6 GB in size. 99.9% of this is taken up by TEMP files - there are 2,798 of these and all have the suffix ".cpy" 80% of these are 5.6 MB and the remainder are of varying sozes down to 4 b (there are even some zero ones.

Most of the files seem to have been written in clusters as there are groups of files all withthe same date of last change. Over 1,500 of these have the same date.

My question is, is it safe to delete all, some or any of these files?

rodriguez 13:06 24 Apr 07

It should be safe - click here for some possibilities on what they are. If it's in the Temp folder though, it should be able to be safely deleted.

Jack Hackett 13:17 24 Apr 07

The folder _Restore is s protected system folder that windows uses to store your System Restore information in.
You can reduce the amount of space allocated for SR from the System Restore options on the System Properties dialogue box.
You can also purge your SR points by turning SR off and back on again. Once done create a new SR point.

Resolution 13:21 24 Apr 07

Thanks, Jack. Where would these files have come from? A friend suggested they may have been caused by a Trojan, though I have Macafee virus scan and firewall in place.
If this is the case, how can I get rid of the trojan and stop a repeat of this event?

Jack Hackett 13:22 24 Apr 07

You can also use the windows Disk Cleanup utility to clear all but the latest SR point.
To remove all restore points except the most recent restore point, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, and then click My Computer.
2. Right-click the disk in which you want to free up space, and then click Properties.
3. Click the General tab, and then click Disk Cleanup.
4. Click the More Options tab, and then under System Restore, click Clean up.
5. Click Yes to remove all but the most recent restore point.
6. Click OK, click Yes to proceed with this action, and then click OK.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac