Safe and Clean Computers

skidzy 20:24 25 Mar 07

This thread is also duplicated in the helproom.

Over the past couple of years ive visited friends and family preparing there computers for safe surfing and general housekeeping of there computer,not to mention friends of there friends.

Here I have compiled a list of (in my opinion) probably the best and safest programs to use.These updated regularly will protect and maintain most computers.

Obviously,safe and careful surfing will reduce the visits of nasty viruses and malware/spyware.

All the below programs are free:

Antivirus:

AVG Free click here
Avast Free click here

One of the above coupled with a decent software Firewall.

Firewalls:

Zonealarm click here
Comodo click here
Kerio click here

Remember,only one Antivirus and one Firewall to one Computer.
Do not highlight your risk to conflicts by trying to use more than one Antivirus and firewall.

Now we have the AV and Firewall protecting you,lets move on to stopping the Malware/Spyware slowing the computer or even redirecting you to those nasty locations.

Antispyware:

Defender click here
AVGAS click here
Spywareblaster click here
Spywareterminator click here with realtime protection.
Superantispy click here
Asquared click here

Now lets cleanup the computer of those tracking cookies and possible adware and search engines that may redirect your browser.

Spybot Search and Destroy click here
Adaware click here
Cwshredder click here

To clean your temp files/cookies and tidy those obsolete registry paths after removal of various software.

Registry Mechanic (very good but not free) click here
Ccleaner click here
Regscrubxp
click here
Cleanup click here

Some are unaware of an alternative browser than Internet Explorer,here are a couple more-with my favourite Firefox.

Browsers:

Internet explorer 7 click here
Firefox 2
click here
Opera
click here
Netscape click here

This is basic list of essentials to most online computer users,and by no means need them all.
However to maintain those family/single user computers-I believe some of these are a must.
I hope this helps those who are unaware of the programs available for free.
No doubt this will be added to by the forum members,there are a lot more helpful programs out there,but most of the time ….not needed.

As a final contribution to this,if you feel you are infected with Malware/Spyware or possibly a Virus or Trojan resulting in a slow or unresponsive computer…please download:

HIJACKTHIS click here

Run this and post the scan log

Malwareremoval click here

And let the experts advise you accordingly,please be patient-you will get a reply and help in due course.

NB: obviously no program is foolproof,but these are the best around at this time.

Hope this information comes in useful for some.

Diodorus Siculus 22:10 25 Mar 07

Thanks for that; good to have all the info in one place when I come to downloading files for a friend.

skidzy 22:13 25 Mar 07

Your welcome Dio,hope it helps.
Really handy on a flash drive.

Dizzy Bob 00:47 26 Mar 07

bookmarked

p;3 00:58 26 Mar 07

lol

skidzy 06:43 26 Mar 07

Whats so funny p;3...am i missing something ?

provider 2 10:56 26 Mar 07

Good idea, skidsy; a resource that many beginners will find very useful.

provider 2 15:38 26 Mar 07

skidZy, Any ideas as to how I can prevent words spelled correctly on my pc turning up on this page with spelling errors?

skidzy 15:55 26 Mar 07

Im on a Vista machine at the moment provider 2,but in firefox...tools/advanced/tick the box,check my spelling as i type and ok.

I dont think IE7 has a spell checker but there is a couple of extensions click here
click here

Is this what you mean.Myself and others have had this problem on the site for some time,now is it the site or our typing...i
m not sure.

bof:) 15:55 26 Mar 07

thanks skidzy, very useful list

Mike

skidzy 15:57 26 Mar 07

" Im on a Vista machine at the moment " i meant to say,im not sure if there is anything built into Xp/Vista to help with a spell check,i dont think so...just the extensions for IE.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017