s3 graphics savage /1x 1014 driver- big probs

eh? 23:02 22 Mar 07

Hello
My laptop seems to acting strange: The display is very juddery and slooow, its not a virus/spyware prob (I dont think).All the scans are clean anyway.
In device manager it had a question mark next to the display, so I updated the driver from windows update, but if anything it's a bit worse.
Does anyone think it is a prob with the driver or am I looking in completely the wrong area?
Cheers

win Xp Pro

woodchip 23:06 22 Mar 07

What are you trying to do when it starts?

eh? 23:13 22 Mar 07

Ummm, not sure what you mean "when it starts" ??
The laptop boots up ok,but the display is just awful, its faint, blurry and juddery, and sometimes the screen 'rolls' down slowly when I shut or minimise a window.
Have tried several driver scan sites but am getting a bit bogged down with it.
PcPitstop keeps hanging when it gets to the internet upload test, so I got fed up trying to sort that out.

woodchip 23:16 22 Mar 07

This sounds like a Old Computer that XP as been loaded on. Is that a correct guess? as s3 graphics savage is very old

eh? 23:22 22 Mar 07

Yes thats right! The laptop is old but has been working ok. Do you reckon its had its day then?

woodchip 23:28 22 Mar 07

May not have, but you are pushing it with XP. As I think it started life with Win95 or Win98 not 98se. Your best bet with a old comp like that is to put 98se on it if you have a disc. It will work a lot faster and the Graphics drivers will work with it. As I don't think the onboard graphics as a XP driver hence your problem

eh? 23:31 22 Mar 07

I just looked in device manager again, and it is actually an exclamation mark next to display adapters. It also says that "this device cannot not start code 10"
I have found a driver from a site but am afraid to use it in case it packs up altogether!

eh? 23:33 22 Mar 07

Thanks woodchip, but why is it only playing up now? It has had xp on it for a long time, so don't know why its only just happening.

woodchip 23:35 22 Mar 07

If you want to try the driver, Save all your files first to another drive or CD. But I know what I would do.

eh? 23:37 22 Mar 07

Yes you are probably right, but I'll have a go anyway....gulp

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…