S-L--o-----w-----ing down comp - Reformatting HDD?

beec crump 21:45 07 Nov 03

I am running a Windows 2000 AthXP1800+ computer, and am generally having trouble with it slowing down, crashing etc. HDD defragged yesterday, no help.

I was wondering about reformatting the HDD and re installing everything as i can put personal docs on cd -r and i have all the windows disks etc.

How do you do this, and is there a better thing to do to this comp with this problem.

Thanx for help in advance
BEn :-s

A_World_Maker 21:57 07 Nov 03

When you installed win2000 did you 'upgrade' from a fat32 OS? Maybe not choose to upgrade the format to NTFS? I made that mistake :-O

dotterel 22:00 07 Nov 03

Your post was a bit brief, so forgive me if these seem obvious. Virus scanning and protection up to date? Have you deleted unwanted programs in "startup" in the "msconfig" file? If you don't know about this one, do a search on this site. Made a huge difference to my system.

beec crump 22:01 07 Nov 03

no, i am on NTFS.

A_World_Maker 22:11 07 Nov 03

My installation of win2000 went well and I chose not to 'upgrade' the file system to NTFS from Fat32, the system has been slowing over time and starting to get flaky, as you describe. The only problem I have, is I don't know how to upgrade the Fat32 to NTFS now I have installed win2000. Wish I did?

beec crump 22:12 07 Nov 03

I dont think you can once you have installed.

How do you reformat?

powerless 22:15 07 Nov 03

HOW TO: Install Windows 2000 Professional click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…