s-ata harddrive installation help please

akira.uk 09:00 18 Aug 03

hi there ive been given an
Maxtor 80gb HDD SERIAL ATA/150

problem is my current harddrive is on an ide cable, although ive been told it is possible to fit them by using an ide/sata converter.

i was wondering if anyone else has had the same experiences and if indeed it is possible to fit it.

my motherboard is -

System Mainboard
Manufacturer : Jetway
MP Support : No
Model : VT8366-8233
BIOS ID : 03/05/2002-VT8366-8233-6A6LVJ1BC-00
Chipset : VIA KT266/A Chipset

Thanks for any advice given :)

bhocip 09:37 18 Aug 03

I am sorry I cannot give you any help on your specific problem, but I am trying to get my Raid working on a P4G8X motherboard.
I was sold two Asus Dongles which change an ide to a serial ata drive,by the mobo supplier. They did not work.I got in touch with Asus support staff who said my board did not support the dongles. I am still trying to get another response from them, to tell me which serial ata drives are supported. So far I have not managed to get a reply. This may be similar to your setup, dongles are available, but will they work?
Hope my experiences are of some help to you.

akira.uk 09:43 18 Aug 03

Thanks for the quick response.
Well i have to admit to being a bit of a newbie when it comes to pc hardware so any advice or ideas are greatly appreciated.
I havent tried to install the drive yet as i dont realy want to risk buggering anything up

bhocip 10:41 18 Aug 03

Ok,
Hope someone comes up with help. Probably most Help Inputters are busy with working. I think most problems seem to get sorted on this excellent Forum.
Cheers.

Ian-280447 12:25 18 Aug 03

akira...your best, indeed only bet, other than replacing your motherboard for a SATA model is to purchase...

A) A SATA adapter for your hard disk.
B) A SATA interface card. Fits into spare PCI slot.
C) SATA cable.

This should get you up and running. However don't expect any speed increase as using SATA converters DO NOT give you the same speed advantages as on board SATA.

akira.uk 12:55 18 Aug 03

thats great! not bothered about the speed increase, just the extra room will be nice

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…