//some 3rd party need geo

S-ata discs need to be initialised. How?

skyfly 23:39 12 Sep 04

I have just installed 2 s-ata hard discs (identical) for storage only, no os.Sorted the bios ok,but drive does not show in xp, i think it is because i have not initialised or formated them. How do i do this if they don't show in windows xp?

keith-236785 23:59 12 Sep 04

i believe you will have to install drivers for the disks to enable windows to see them, if you got any drivers with the sata disks, see if there is a readme file and it may help, failing that the motherboard driver disk may contain basic drivers for sata if it is a new board. My asrock k7s8x has the drivers on the cdrom, you need to copy the drivers to floppy to install during windows setup.

good luck

temp003 09:12 13 Sep 04

Go to Device Manager and see if there are any yellow exclamation marks (e.g. against the SATA disk controller). If so, you need to install the driver for the SATA disk controller.

If not, and the two SATA hdds are shown in Device Manager, then you just need to go to Disk Management.

Click Start, Run, type diskmgmt.msc and press Enter.

The SATA disks should be shown there. Check that the capacity of the disks are shown correctly. If so, right click each disk and see if the option to Initialise is available. If so, select it. If not (e.g. if the option is greyed out), then you don't need to initialise it.

Then just right click the disk and select "create new partition" or just "format" as the case may be.

skyfly 22:03 13 Sep 04

Hi yes i just had to go to disc managment and format everything working ok now many thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…