runtime error in outlook

phil5 07:23 28 Jul 07

when i try to start outlook i get a runtime error,

the heading is visual c++ runtime library

program: C:\program files\microsoft office\office 11\outlook.exe

abnormal program termination

as soon as i click ok or close the window outlook closes down.

any ideas?

€dstowe 07:44 28 Jul 07

First, try doing a repair.

Click on Help and then on Detect and Repair. Follow the instructions. You will need the Office disk which had Outlook on it.

phil5 17:56 28 Jul 07

thanks

tried repair function, no difference

tried shutting down antivirus & firewall also.

tried restore back a couple of days, still no difference.

Phil

Rich_B 18:24 28 Jul 07

Hi Phil,
I guess Outlook worked sometime recently, so you have probably changed something since it last worked. This may have been to add some software such as an anit-virus, firewall, of bulk email software. believe it or not iTunes now links into Outlook.
Your best option is to think back to when it last worked and find out what may have caued the problem.

To cut out a lot of things that might cause the problem you could try re-starting in Safe Mode. To do this in Win XP you reboot as normal and press F7 when restarting before the Windows screen comes up. If you have another OS, you can check this out in Windows Help.

If you do this and try Outlook and it opens OK, then there is some other software/hardware interfering with Outlook. If it still doesn't work then your best option is a system restore.
Start> All programs> Accessories> System tools> System Restore - then restore to an earlier time.

Good luck
Rich

phil5 19:32 28 Jul 07

Hi

have already done a restore to a couple of days ago, it was working fine until yesterday.

have managed to get outlook to run by disabling the check messages as it starts function, now the runtime error only occurs when you click send/receive although i can send as i've just sent a test message to myself and viewed it on the server so it must be the receive side thats at fault.

phil

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…