Runtime error - Internet Explorer

Muckle 15:31 07 Aug 05

IE worked fine this morning, but now when I double click the icon I get:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime Error!

Program: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in a n unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.

Plus the OK button - can anyone help?
I have tried a system restore and a repair on IE, but it has made no difference.

JustinJSY 21:33 09 Aug 05

In the short term, I have been able to resolve it by logging onto XP as a different user (my wife's login runs IE without a problem).

The other alternative is to download mozilla firefox instead.

I would however love to know what the problem is. I have checked my pc for viruses and spyware and it seems to be OK.

Muckle 19:22 10 Aug 05

I resolved this by doing a system restore further back in time, but like you would like to know what caused it. Have you removed any Yahoo toolbars/plugins recently because that is about the only change I made at the time - my daughter installed all this yahoo nonsense and I uninstalled it!
Just a thought

JustinJSY 20:39 11 Aug 05

I uninstalled the Google & Epsom toolbars, and IE works fine now.

Muckle 23:43 18 Aug 05

I have since bought a new hard drive and done a fresh install - no problems so far!

polymath 21:30 29 Sep 05

Thanks Justin - I was getting exactly the same error message, and uninstalling the Google toolbar fixed it for me too. I'd reinstalled various versions of Internet Explorer (thanks to my collection of PC Advisor cover disks!), run System File Checker and goodness knows what else, but got the same error.

To access the web when Internet Explorer was banjaxed, I just installed Firefox (those cover disks again), and Thunderbird (Outlook Express was also unusable, due to a recurring problem I could never quite solve).
Forefox worked straight away, I found this thread, uninstalled the Google Toolbar, and Hey Presto. OE still won't work, but a reinstall of IE/OE will hopefully fix that now.

I don't know whose fault the error is either - Internet Explorer or Windows or something else.
The only thing I'd done that might have caused problems was to try to use my existing, free version of RealPlayer. Previously, it just appeared discreetly when I used media, but this time it wanted me to log in again (I might have deleted a relevant cookie). At the same time, it was trying to persuade me to upgrade to a paid version, and with one thing and another the computer froze. I assumed that Real Player was connecting to one of its sites in the background, and that caused some conflict or other. I don't know if it's Real Player being a bit cheeky, or if I got its settings wrong. (I uninstalled it once rebooted, but will watch for any settings when reinstalling it).

I'd been meaning to try Firefox and Thunderbird for years, and was immediately convinced. They're now the default, with the bloatware (as I see it) as just a standby.

Incidentally, I could never print a Helproom thread in Internet Explorer without losing a chunk off the right-hand side - if there are settings to do it, I couldn't find them. Firefox is getting it all in, straight out of the virtual box.

Anyway, that error message seems to be remaining a mystery (but I don't think I'll install the Google Toolbar again - all I used it for was searching a site anyway.

mbogey 22:44 29 Sep 05

Just spotted this thread having posted my own with the same problem. I tried system restore - it worked for a few days then the same thing happened again. Tried uninstalling Google toolbar as suggested and this seems to work. When IE was down I used the browser on Real Player 10.0 - basic but at least it was working...
Thing is, I used Google toolbar a lot and will miss it ;-( so would like to find out what the problem is. After all it worked fine for months (IE 6.0 and Google toolbar)
Have never tried an alternative to IE so perhaps I should!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…