Runtime Error-Help please

3tg 20:34 31 Aug 03

My OS is ME,I have a problem which appears to be with the display on my computer. When I try to access the desktop in the My Computer (folders) and the display control in the control panel,I cannot access either, when I try the computer freezes A message box appears with a large red cross and reads Microsoft Visual C++/Runtime Library...then Runtime Error...then Program\Windows|Explorer.exe.....then Abnormal program termination.
As I am not sure what has happened, can anyone advise me how to fix it (in plain english please)
I had to switch the computer off because it was just "hanging" and this followed. Cheers

howard60 21:59 31 Aug 03

try system restore and go back to when it was ok.

Ironman556 22:30 31 Aug 03

Go to start, run and type sfc. You'll need your Win ME disc. Do a scan and it'll replace any corrupt files, you may be able to get into My Computer then.

3tg 23:29 31 Aug 03

Thanks folks, I've done system restore, could not fix it.I also did scandisk and defrag. I haven't got a Windows ME disk as it is a HP computer, it has a recovery disk but I am unsure if I use it, will it format the hard drive and start again ? I really don't want to lose everything.
Being a silly senior citizen I am not as computer literate as you young ones. Cheers

3tg 23:41 31 Aug 03

ps. I have also repaired internet and searched the MS site. This happened after I installed software and then removed it (via add & remove). could this have caused it?.

3tg 10:55 01 Sep 03

Refresh

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…