Runtime error, help appreciated

lucky1 21:56 27 Sep 03

I have a new PC - Compaq, running Windows XP. When I start to play a DVD I get an error messsage which reads :

A runtime error has occurred. Do you wish to debug ? Line 194. Error : 'Undefined' is null or not an object.

When selecting 'yes' I get taken into a screen full of technical jargon which, I'm afraid, means nothing to me !!

Anybody any idea what I should be doing or if there's something wrong with my PC ?

Many thanks

oglemire 22:17 27 Sep 03

does this happen with all DVDs or just one?

advise the forum what the "techincal jargon" says. It does of course mean something and would perhaps assist a member with offering a solution..

lucky1 22:40 27 Sep 03

It appears to happen with each DVD I play. By selecting the 'no' option when asked if I want to debug or not,the error message disappears, I can then carry on playing the CD, but the message then re-appears again and again !! Since my posting I've been to the Microsoft Help site and they suggest confirming that I have a 'compliant decoder'. I have carried out the instructions and I do have a compliant decoder, WinDVD4. I've tried to run this without suceess though ! This is my first encounter with DVDs being an 'oldie'.

The technical stuff referred to runs into pages and pages I'm afraid.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…