Runtime error 2 or 5

s99Raj 20:03 04 Mar 04

At startup (with XP Home) I'm sometimes getting the message

"Runtime error 2" and sometimes "Runtime error 5 at 004062C5"

Any ideas on what I can do about these? If i click on the red cross to close them they just pop up again a few seconds later.

Diodorus Siculus 20:11 04 Mar 04

Sounds like a program having problems running.

Go into MSConfig and try to disable things one at a time to see which is the problem causer. It can be trial and error to find out.

s99Raj 20:34 04 Mar 04

I've clicked on "Disable All" under the startup tab, but still get the message "runtime error 2"

Diodorus Siculus 20:55 04 Mar 04

Try the system file checker then

sfc /scannow

and click on Run.

s99Raj 21:29 04 Mar 04

scannow didn't do the trick I'm afraid.

Diodorus Siculus 21:30 04 Mar 04

Does it happen when you start in safe-mode?

s99Raj 21:32 04 Mar 04

yes- same problem in safe mode

Diodorus Siculus 21:35 04 Mar 04

Well, I'm lost other than to suggest you run a registry cleaner, spyware checker and the usual disk maintenance.

s99Raj 21:39 04 Mar 04

OK -thank you for your help. I've tried spyware and trojan removers etc. I've disabled ALL the processes after a "msconfig" and the error goes away. I can't be bothered to disable each one by one restart the PC,etc. as it will take AGES since there are nearly 100 processes to go through.
I'll reformat the HD and start over - drastic, i know but at least it will work and take less time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…