Running what?

flaphead 03:07 03 May 03

I have xp, and task manager is telling me, with no applications running and no screen action so ever, that the cpu is using 30-50% capacity. It obviously and used to mark 0_1% at these times. I can't really see any processes on task manager doing it neither. Any ideas what's taking up processor space. I do download some occaissional pieces from the net.

Djohn 03:09 03 May 03

Are you using one of the P2P file share programs by any chance? J.

flaphead 03:19 03 May 03

Hmmm. I avoided kazaa and simirlar for those kinda resons but still chanced giving winmx a go, as alledgedly free of spy and adware but I see where you are. Could be sharing and caring as we speak. Do you need to be connected though as it still runs at same when not connected. I'll just get rid of winmx and see if that's a goer.Ta for now. I'll post result.

Djohn 03:33 03 May 03

It could well be the cause, try doing a full anti-virus check and install an anti-virus if you haven't already done so. Also a firewall and, something like ad-aware to scan and remove cookies that may have been placed on your drive.

If you look at the top of this page you will see, (In blue letters) two links. *Downloads, and Links*, have a look there and you will find many recommendations, including, Zone Alarm/ad-aware/AVG, these are excellent programs and free to download. Give them a try and then post back on this thread to let us know if things have improved. J.

flaphead 03:34 03 May 03

I have found no change after uninstalling winmx p2p.I'm rooting through other suspect programs. Any more ideas?

powerless 04:19 03 May 03

click here

One at a time put each process into a search and see what google comes up with.

Post back if your not sure, cannot find anything, also the name of the process.

Start > Run > Copy and Paste:

MSCONFIG

Click ok and then click on STARTUP (top right) have a look at the ticks that you will see. Then under "startup Item" note the startup name then click here and search for its name and see what the site has to say about it. Or just remove all the ticks and reboot the computer...

Now see if CPU is still up.

Also what is your processor, speed etc. How much RAM do you have and how big is your hard drive and how much free space is there?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…