Running Vista on Celeron D

lulu648 21:33 29 Sep 07

Im thinking of upgrading my OS to Vista, I have recently upgraded my Ram from 512 to 1536 (I added 1GB) but my graphics card is onboard so takes up 64mb. My PC is a Packard Bell Imedia 1404 and only has a Celeron D processer with 3.06GHZ, I dont think its very fast so I am concerned about running Vista.

Any ideas??
Oh i have 160 GB HD if that makes any difference
Thanx

woodchip 21:38 29 Sep 07

And the best of British. And I do not mean your Celeron

lulu648 21:41 29 Sep 07

sorry - processor

brundle 21:54 29 Sep 07

Run the upgrade advisor; click here

You'd need a dedicated graphics card too.

Quiller. 21:55 29 Sep 07

Run the Vista upgrade advisor. click here. I think you might be relegated to vista basic with just 64mb of video ram.

woodchip

LOL

SANTOS7 22:00 29 Sep 07

the speed of your processor has no relevance as to whether you can run vista BUT your VGA card does

click here

the link shows you minimum requirements for the vista series of O/S...

lulu648 22:15 29 Sep 07

Okey doke, I have run the upgrade tool and yes yes, I do need to upgrade my graphics card for home prem (all I can have is home basic).
Any ideas on what sort of graphics card is compatible with a Packard Bell Imedia 1404 - I tried to run the advisor tool on Crucial however my PC wasnt listed (although 1402 was??)
Please help me Im a newby to all this stuff, the only upgrade i have done is my RAM!!!
Thanx

woodchip 22:22 29 Sep 07

Thought you would get my drift

Quiller. 23:07 29 Sep 07

Your systems motherboard does have an AGP slot, so you could put in a AGP card. click here It is just a 2X-4X slot so you would need a card to fit. looking at the AGP slot, it looks as if it will take a 8X card but run at the slightly lower speed of 4X. If you have an AGP graphics card, try it in the slot and you might be able to run home premium.

woodchip

Confucius say:-

A nod is as good as a wink to a blind man.

rdave13 23:37 29 Sep 07

Personally I don't think it's a good idea to upgrade an OS. You'll have more problems than worth it's while. Drivers come to mind and these can be a big headache.
Buy a cheap lappy to find out how Vista works.
Good luck.

DieSse 23:37 29 Sep 07

"Im thinking of upgrading my OS to Vista"

Why? - It'll only cost money, and maybe give you more headaches.

You've upgraded you RAM, so XP will be running sprightlier. Vista is hardly likely to give you anything XP (or some add-ons for XP) can't give you - and you may find some programs won't even run and/or some of your peripherals are not supported - oh, and it may run slower.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5