Running two virus scanners

LinH 13:59 19 May 06

Here's one to get the keyboards tapping.

Is it wise/unwise to run two virus scanners at the same time.

Because virus scanners, by their very nature, are invasive, could they co-exist or would there possibly be some unpredictable effects?

And if the answer is one, which of the free ones would be the choice, AVG or Avast?

Cheers all!

ventanas 14:09 19 May 06

One only, or you will have problems. I don't think there is anything to tell between the two you mention, but only use one of them.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:16 19 May 06

Agreed only one, they find the virus signature sof the other scanner and report them as true viruses.

AVG and AVAST are equally as ggod have used both currently use vast for the autoupdate and with scan during screen saver I never have to remember to do a scan.

Stuartli 15:18 19 May 06

Avast! updates itself.

The timing can be adjusted from within Settings>UpDate (Basic)>Advanced button.

LinH 17:05 19 May 06

johnnyrocker 19:56 19 May 06

i believe you have your answer.

mammak 22:12 19 May 06

Never a good idea to have 2 avs running both you mentioned are good Avast not only updates its self but you have the added extra of a right sexy voice saying "the virus data base has been updated" :)

p;3 23:52 19 May 06

does Avast come with a sexy voice updater? I obviously chose the wrong av as I have avg on here all on its lonesome :((

LinH 08:19 20 May 06

That just about summs it up, thanks to those that responded

p;3 10:42 20 May 06

two av"s ? nope; the replies state run only one av on the machine else there will to be clashes between the programs; you can of course have another one run an on-line scan for you , but it is strongly recommended not to have more than one installed on any machine; and I still like the sound of the sexy avast updater:))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…